News - Archive
DRPA Announces Temporary Closure of Ben Franklin Bridge South Walkway
Bicycle and Pedestrian Ramp to undergo $8 million upgrades
CAMDEN, NJ: The Delaware River Port Authority announced today that the Ben Franklin Bridge South Walkway will close on February 22nd, 2018 for approximately 14 months, to allow for major structural upgrades, including replacement of the existing stairway on the south side of the bridge in Camden with a new ramp structure. The ramp will improve connectivity between Philadelphia and Camden for pedestrians and bicycles and encourage the use of alternative modes of transportation for both commuter and recreational users.
During the construction period, the Bridge’s North Walkway will open (weather permitting) and will be accessible. To ensure convenience and access, every effort will be made to keep the 5th Street Pedestrian Tunnel open as much as possible during construction. Signage will be clearly posted throughout the area indicating pedestrian-accessible routes.
Frequently Asked Questions for BFB South Walkway Project:
- Will one of the bridge’s walkways be open during construction? Yes, the North walkway will be open and the South walkway will be closed during the construction.
- When will the South walkway close? The switch from South to North walkway is expected to occur on or around Thursday, February 22nd, 2018.
- Will the walkway hours change? Walkway hours are expected to remain the same:
- Oct. 1 - April 30: Open daily 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Weather permitting
- May 1 - Sept. 30: Open daily 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Weather permitting
- Will the 5th Street Pedestrian Tunnel remain open during construction? Every effort will be made to keep the tunnel open as much as possible throughout the project. Signage will be posted on the north side of the tunnel letting people know that the south walk is closed prior to them going through the tunnel.
- The North walkway is narrow on the Camden side. Will this area be widened? No changes are planned to the current configuration of the North walkway.
[ Return to List ]