For updates Tune to 530 AM,
Highway Advisory Radio
DRPA W-Alerts Sign-up & Info
NJ E-Alerts Sign-up & Info
PA E-Alerts Sign-up & Info
Google Traffic Maps
Deck the Walt News
What To Expect During Phase 7 of Redecking Project:
A multi-month bridge deck renovation project is underway. During the current (and final) phase of construction, overweight and wide-load permit vehicles are no longer restricted from crossing the Walt Whitman Bridge. The bridge speed limit will remain at 35 mph until construction ends late this year.
During peak traffic periods, motorists are advised to consider using the Ben Franklin Bridge, the Commodore Barry Bridge or PATCO.
Construction will be interrupted and lanes adjusted as needed to accommodate traffic associated with scheduled events at the South Philadelphia stadiums.
The ramp from I-76 East to Packer Ave./Darien St. will have reduced lanes until construction is completed.
- From 5:00 am until approximately 10:00 am, a maximum of four lanes will be open into Philadelphia and two into New Jersey.
- From 10:00 am until 2:00 pm, a maximum of two lanes will be open in each direction.
- From 2:00 pm until 5:00 am the following morning, three lanes will be open in each direction.
Thursday June 20
- From 10 a.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning, two lanes will be open into Philadelphia and three lanes will be open into New Jersey.
- Walt Whitman Bridge opened to traffic on May 16, 1957.
- The DRPA Board of Commissioners approved two contracts totaling $139,774,286.67 to both redeck the bridge and monitor construction of the project on May 19, 2010.
- A $128,085,778.00 construction contract was awarded to the American Bridge Company of Coraopolis, PA
- An $11,688,508.67 construction monitoring contract was awarded to the joint venture of Urban Engineers Inc./URS Corporation of Philadelphia.
- The redecking project will result in an entirely new deck over the Delaware River including the removal of the suspended span, installation of a new lightweight concrete filled jointless grid deck, structure improvements, new parapets and a new steel shell moveable barrier.
- 6 lanes out of a total of 7 lanes will be open for traffic during the construction.