April 1954. Reinforcing the steel base with concrete for the Anchorage on the Philadelphia side.
Men work on the suspension cables.
Men work to install the catwalk.
Closing the gap: installing the bottom chord of the stiffening truss, mid-span. June 20, 1956.
Main span floor beam truss sections being lifted into place from barges floating in the river, June 1956.
Cars line up for a 12:01AM May 16th opening of the bridge. More than 3000 vehicles crossed the bridge in the first hour. 31,432 vehicles traveled the span in the first 24 hours.
Opening ceremonies were held on the bridge on May 15th at 10:30. A few thousand people attended.
Pedestrians could walk on the bridge from noon - 6:00 p.m. on May 15th without having to worry about vehicle traffic. The bridge opened to cars at midnight.
New Jersey Governor Meyner and Charles Smith, Auditor General of PA, along with James Baney, Vice Chairman of DRPA and J. William Markeim, DRPA Chairman, dedicate the bridge on May 15, 1957.
Cornerstone dedication, December 1954.
Cars pass through the toll plaza at the bridge. Tolls were 25 cents.
Workers inspect the cables.
Artist rendering of the Philadelphia approach to the bridge looking west near Smedley St. November 1954.
Walt Whitman Bridge